James T. Capretz
Mr. Capretz is the principal in the law firm of CAPRETZ & ASSOCIATES. He received a Bachelors of Business Administration Degree in 1961 and his LLB in 1963 from Loyola University where he was co-editor of the Law Review. He is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts in California, Louisiana and Western Pennsylvania along with the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Tenth Circuits and the United States Supreme Court. He has served as a Judge Pro Tem for the Orange County Superior Court and as Special Master for the State Bar of California. He was the founder and chairman of Western Interstate Bankcorp, a non-bank California financial institution holding company until it was sold in 1997. He was the only attorney in private practice named in the initial publication of the top 50 most influential business people in Orange County by the Orange County Business Journal.
The firm is rated “av” in Martindale-Hubbell and is in their list of Preeminent Lawyers in America. Mr. Capretz currently serves as co-lead counsel in the multidistrict litigation known as In Re: St. Jude Medical, Inc., Silzone Heart Valves Products Liability Litigation MDL #1396 and acts as Plaintiffs’ State Liaison Counsel in the Federal Court MDL-1355 In Re Propulsid Products Liability Litigation matter as well as Special Counsel to the class in the matter known as Arthur Ray Bowling, et al. v. Pfizer, Inc., et al., Case No. C-1-91-256. He has been a speaker or lecturer for private educational firms and the American Trial Lawyers Association on class related topics. He is a public mediator for the National Association of Security Dealers. He holds a certificate of completion from the Harvard Law School Mediation Workshop for Lawyers. He was the founder of ProMediate, an alternative dispute resolution service, started in 1992 to resolve complex civil litigation matters.
Mr. Capretz has thirty (30) years experience in consumer, business, securities and complex mass tort litigation including class actions. He has been involved in the Shiley/Pfizer heart valve litigation since 1985 and has resolved hundreds of individual claims along with being involved in the final negotiations and completion of the model global settlement in 1992. A partial list of the class actions or complex litigation cases in which the law firm is involved include the following:
- Arthur Ray Bowling v. Pfizer, Inc., Case No: C-1-91-256 (Ohio)
- In Re Microsoft Corp. windows Operating Systems Antitrust Litigation MDL No. 1332 (Maryland)
- In Re Warfarin Sodium Antitrust Litigation MDL No. 1232 (Delaware)
- Allec v. Cross Country Bank, OCSC Class Action No. 802894 (California)
- In Re Propulsid Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1355 (Louisiana)
- In Re Rezulin Product Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1348 (New York)
- In Re Diet Drugs, MDL No. 1203 (Pennsylvania)
- In Re Silicone Gel Breast Implants Products Liability Litigation MDL No. 926 (Alabama)
- In Re Synthroid Marketing Litigation, MDL No. 1182 (Illinois)
- In Re Gammagard MDL (California)
- Of the pending St. Jude Medical, Inc. Products Liability Litigation MDL No. 3396 (Minnesota), the law firm is counsel or co-counsel in nine cases.